My Top Ten Freshman Year Moments at Holy Cross

Hello, all. As promised, here is my final blog post for the 2018-2019 academic year. It has been an amazing journey throughout my first two semesters, and I cannot wait for the next three years. I’m not sure if I will be posting at all during the summer, but I would like to express my gratitude to you, the reader. Whether you have followed my blog all year long, or are just now checking in, I truly appreciate the time you’ve given to reading my posts, and I hope that my words have adequately described how fantastic my Holy Cross experience has been. With that said, let the countdown begin! Here are my top ten moments from my first year on Mount Saint James

10. ACCEPTED STUDENTS’ DAY FOR THE CLASS OF 2023

Although I’ve had some enjoyable experiences throughout my time volunteering in the admissions office, this particular day was easily my favorite. On this beautiful April afternoon, hundreds of high school seniors flocked to campus to see the college that they will (hopefully) call home for the next four years. The vibe on campus was filled with excitement, and it served as a meaningful reminder of the position I had been in only one year prior. It made me finally realize how far I had come during my two semesters at Holy Cross.

9. HC FOOTBALL 31-28 COMEBACK WIN OVER YALE

Although I am, by no means, a devoted football fan, this particular matchup produced a memory that will certainly last a long time. Holy Cross football, after trailing by multiple touchdowns throughout most of regulation, executed a miracle comeback over the Yale Bulldogs, who were, at the time, the reigning Ivy League champions. It was one of my earliest memories with people that I now consider my close friends. Although we did miss all of the third quarter to grab lunch at Kimball, this afternoon demonstrated the tenacity of a Holy Cross Crusader, and offered a moment of tremendous joy and excitement, as we emerged victorious on a game-winning field goal in overtime.

8. HC MEN’S BASKETBALL VS. URI @ THE DCU CENTER

A court-side view of Holy Cross Men's Basketball against the University of Rhode Island, held at the DCU Center in Worcester.
My friends and I knew we were going to need great seats for this exciting matchup with URI.

Technically, this memory was not supposed to be made in the first place, seeing as I was supposed to be studying for final exams after my first semester. Nevertheless, two of my close friends and I purchased tickets to this matchup against the University of Rhode Island of the A-10 Conference. The game was actually held at the DCU Center in Worcester, and it was a cool experience to leave campus for the city alongside fellow students on our fan bus. Although Holy Cross ultimately came up short, losing 79-63, the second half included a truly inspiring comeback attempt from the Crusaders, who rapidly cut a massive point deficit to only a few baskets with less than ten minutes remaining. I’m excited for future Men’s Basketball games at the DCU, and would highly recommend these games for any Crusader fans looking for an electric atmosphere.

7. MOVE-IN DAY FOR THE CLASS OF 2022

I’m not kidding when I say that this day feels as though it occurred only weeks ago; I remember nearly every detail exactly. This day was meaningful for a multitude of reasons, seeing as I was finally meeting my roommates, as well as preparing to live away from Rochester for the first time in my life. I remember the leaders of Fall Orientation swarming my family’s car and bringing all of my belongings to my dorm room in Clark Hall. Later, before saying farewell to my family, I remember attending the Mass of the Holy Spirit, which was fitting, seeing as all of my middle school and high school years began with the very same celebration. Later, we were placed in orientation groups, and we began a three-day program designed to help us meet friends and become familiar with campus. Although the day was extremely tiring (my roommates and I were actually exploring campus until extremely late that night), it was a memorable start to a memorable year, and I’ll never forget where it all started.

6. ED SHEERAN CONCERT AT GILETTE STADIUM

A view of the stage at Ed Sheeran's concert at Gilette Stadium in September 2018
Perhaps not the greatest view, but an amazing experience nevertheless!

This was an interesting experience to say the least, seeing as the concert took place only a couple weeks after classes began, and my new friends and I decided to attend a mere 24 hours before the concert actually started. Still, I thought that it sounded like a fun way to spend a Friday night. We split the cost of an Uber between the four of us, and soon found ourselves in Foxborough, MA. The concert itself was an awesome time; attending concerts is one of my favorite activities. It was also pretty cool being in the home stadium of the New England Patriots; Ed Sheeran actually sported a Rob Gronkowski jersey during his encore performance. Unfortunately, we made a terrible error in believing we could easily use Uber to return to Holy Cross. After an hour or so, we finally found a driver, but the cost was unfathomable. In the end, however, being able to have this experience with my roommate and two of my other (now) best friends was worth it. Hopefully I’ll be able to find a concert or two during my sophomore year!

5. WCHC SPORTS 88.1 BASKETBALL BROADCASTING

Honestly, this was NOT an experience I was expecting to have, not during my freshman year at least. At the beginning of my second semester, however, I had the opportunity to provide color commentary for several Men’s and Women’s Basketball games. As evident in many of my blog posts, I have always been extremely passionate about basketball. Although I lack the talent to play at the collegiate level, WCHC Sports presented itself as a tremendous opportunity to stay involved with the sport I love. Although the first couple games were primarily learning experiences, I quickly became comfortable on the air, and found that broadcasting was something I really enjoyed. I am extremely excited for my future in sports broadcasting, and look forward to following the basketball programs for years to come.

4. LATE NIGHT MILKSHAKES AT COOL BEANS

A milkshake from Cool Beans, found in the Hogan Campus Center at Holy Cross
Love, in its purest form

Really, I can’t explain this one. It’s either something you experience, or you don’t. Shoutout to my milkshake crew; you know who you are.

3. INTRAMURAL BASKETBALL

A team photo of my 5v5 intramural basketball team
A celebratory moment, following the Kimballers’ first win of the 5v5 Basketball session.

Although I’ve already written about my experience with intramural sports, I feel the need to reiterate: JOIN INTRAMURAL SPORTS AT HOLY CROSS. It is such a fun, fulfilling experience to be able to form athletic teams with your closest friends, and intramurals present a great way to do that. I served as the captain of two basketball teams throughout my freshman year, and can honestly say that this experience was one of my favorites. Although the success of the team varied, it was so fun to be able to look forward to our game each week, and have the opportunity to compete together. Again, intramural sports at Holy Cross can get pretty intense!

2. MIDNIGHT BREAKFAST AT KIMBALL

Okay, so this one is honestly pretty lame. But really, it is one of those moments from freshman year that I will always remember. Following the conclusion of my each semester, Kimball Dining Hall hosts a late night breakfast for students as they study for their final exams. In December, some of my closest friends and I went to the breakfast, simply needing fuel to continue working on final projects and essays. This may not seem particularly memorable, but it stands out as the moment that I could finally look back and say, “I made it.” I realized how close I had become to this particular group of people in four short months, and understood that these were the people that I would be spending the next several years with. As my roommate shoved an entire pancake into his mouth at once, I felt immense satisfaction with the person I had become, the relationships I had established, and where I was in my life. Exactly one week ago, I sat in midnight breakfast once again, only this time, knowing that the next day I would be leaving my best friends for nearly four months. It was a  sad moment, yet meaningful for all of the aforementioned reasons. I will always remember midnight breakfasts from freshman year.

1. SPRING WEEKEND 2019

A view of the stage at the Spring Concert, featuring Loud Luxury
I’m not kidding when I say Loud Luxury put on a SHOW!

This entire weekend was honestly so fun, and I don’t think I can really put it into words. Between the free food trucks, petting zoos, games, giveaways, and  live music, this weekend was certainly one to remember. The highlight, of course, was the 2019 Spring Concert featuring Jay Sean and Loud Luxury. It didn’t matter that Jay Sean hadn’t been particularly relevant since 2009; his hit song, “Down”, captured the hearts of hundreds of Holy Cross students. It was amazing experiencing the sheer excitement of a live music performance right on Mount Saint James, and I already cannot wait for next year’s Spring Weekend. This weekend was, of course, made even sweeter due to the presence of amazing friends. The Outdoor EDGE, a party featuring a DJ outside of Kimball, was nearly as fun as the concert itself, and was a great way to let loose prior to final exams.

Once again, thank you for your support of this blog. I’ll see you all next year!

-Aidan Ruppert, Class of 2022